International standard ISO 37120 “Sustainable development of communities — Indicators for city services and quality of life” released in 2014 and revised in 2018, became the first successful effort of experts to create integrated view for performance analysis of urban areas. The standard provides uniform definitions of what is measured and how it should be done and introduced common basis for reporting, comparison and benchmarking.
The ISO 37120 defines 17 city themes of City Services and Quality of Life as follows:
- Fire and Emergency Response
- Solid Waste
- Telecommunications and Innovation
- Urban Planning
- Water and Sanitation
Each theme has “Core” and “Supporting” Indicators as well as Data Sources.
In all 17 themes there are
- 46 core indicators which cities shall track and report,
- 54 supporting indicators which cities should support in tracking and reporting
ISO requires third party verification of data sources and quality for ISO standard certification.
Importance of Standard
The ISO 37120 standard is important as it
- Steers and guides sustainability, effective governance and delivery of services
- Allows accessing city’s performance of services, infrastructure, institutions (especially outsourced),
- Improves city operations
- Increases transparency and accountability
- Leverages project funding, prioritizing city budgets for assessing quality of life,
- Transparency and open data for public/private infrastructure developments and investment attractiveness
- Facilitates learning and use
- Makes possible various benchmarking options, targets definition and comparative analysis in policy development and planning
- Assists in building core knowledge for city decision-making and enabling comparative insight and global benchmarking
- Supports new Open Data and new application development
Using the standard as reference model for further developments
Smart City Monitor team used the ISO 37120 standard for the implementation of the sample urban model and its open data set to let the full compliance. The sample data set is presented in spreadsheet files that have simple formats and are easy to understand.
Applied in Smart City Monitor, the sample model and data empower the effective template for quick implementation Smart City projects having immediate compliance with the standard. Being open and customisable, the urban model can be developed further gradually being upgraded to real city infrastructure and diverse linkages to optional data sources.
After the implementation Smart City Monitor engine, the urban model by ISO 37120 runs immediately using sample data. After the data in the spreadsheet files is replaced by the local data the model begin presenting actual city performance accordingly to the standard.
Then it can be used for experimenting with additional city infrastructure objects, indicators, local data sets, sensors, smart meters, IoT and linkages to various city automated information systems and evaluation of sustainability.
The Smart City Monitor team is ready to support learning, system prototyping and provide training to city administration employees and utility providers.
Implementing Smart City Monitor
ISO 37120 Certification program